Monday, April 1, 2013

This is my tale about what I do best: Eat N Wander

It's April Fool's Day 2013, and today is as good a day as any to start a food blog, right? 

This is the tale of my personal growth and my continued work in progress around finding my voice in the food world. My life is enlightened by food, and everything food is my passion. Who am I? First, let me state that I am not a culinary expert. Truth be told, I aspired to be a chef once upon a time, leading me down the path of culinary school and then to work on the line in a French kitchen. What I quickly discovered was not only was I not as whole-hearted as I had once dreamed I would be, but each day I felt like I was trapped behind closed doors. I yearned to taste the finished dishes, burst through the doors, and strike up conversation with the patrons about their meal and get their opinions. And bottom line was this; the life of a cook was tough, the hours were long, and I'll be the first to admit that I just didn't have enough of the skill to live it or passion to actually create it.

But what I did have was an insane amount of appreciation for those chefs and cooks who had the ability to transform a simple ingredient into one of life's most memorable moments, and I had an insatiable craving and passion to enjoy food in all of its forms, textures, aromas, and flavors. This fascination is something that has never changed.

Next, let me also say that I do not call or consider myself a "foodie". I just love to eat. It's as simple as that and  I don't need a self-proclaimed title to remind me of that fact.

Who I am is just a girl with a big appetite, a lot of curiosity, and a strong desire to share with you my love affair and infatuation with all things food. Well, make that food and drink, and service is right up there too. I live to eat and wander exploring the new and rekindling the old. And it's definitely not always going to be pretty or glamorous.

Everyone knows that with dining out there's always going to be the good, the bad, the ugly. And somewhere down that journey you find the diamonds. Some days the diamond comes in the form of the most beautifully executed and presented 10 course meal. Other days, it comes as the most delightfully greasy pizza from a hole in the wall.  I enjoy good food but more importantly like most of you, I also live a real-life, and  I don't always make the best food choices. Some days, I'm thrilled just fixing up a top ramen with a poached egg, and it will truly seem like the best thing I ate all week. It's moments like these when I am reminded of my culinary school days where we would cook elaborate dishes by day, and then live off of burritos and burgers by night. If this odd behavior doesn't resonate with you, you likely haven't worked in a kitchen or a restaurant because I am certain I am not alone.

My point is this.  My goal is to share with you the real experiences I have as I taste my way through life wherever that may lead me, and hopefully give you better insight into making your own experiences.

I have a lot to say and a lot to share, and you can agree or disagree. So ask many questions and give feedback. This is where my food blogging journey begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment